The Westbury Boards > Westbury News & Discussion

Westbury Waste Plant

(1/3) > >>

Al:
A delay... http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/westburynews/display.var.2414040.0.waste_plant_decision_delayed.php

pat:
surely that's a good thing then....

baldy:
I have always objected to this proposal at all Westbury Town Council meetings when this has come up.

Siting a waste recycling plant right next door to one of the UK's biggest and newest dairies is simply crass stupidity.  The dairy supplies over a fifth of the UK's dairy products. This is hugely important to that industry.

If any pollution enters the air-intakes of the dairy, the whole plant would need to shut down for a day whilst everything is cleaned and stock thrown out.

I know that the waste plant claims to be ultra clean etc ... but mistakes and accidents do happen.

Just think what would happen to the credibility of the dairy in the eyes of its main commercial customers if the dairy ever shut down due to pollution. It would be on the national news and it would be extremely likely that they would never recover their sales to the main customers who would go elsewhere in case their own customers get jumpy.

The whole proposal is just so incredibly inept and insensitive towards this huge dairy.

In any event, the MBT plant should be sited close to or alongside the Lafarge factory which is supposed to be using the fuel pellets produced by the new MBT plant.

Russell Hawker

pat:

--- Quote from: baldy on July 31, 2008, 13:46:53 pm ---I have always objected to this proposal at all Westbury Town Council meetings when this has come up.

Siting a waste recycling plant right next door to one of the UK's biggest and newest dairies is simply crass stupidity.  The dairy supplies over a fifth of the UK's dairy products. This is hugely important to that industry.

If any pollution enters the air-intakes of the dairy, the whole plant would need to shut down for a day whilst everything is cleaned and stock thrown out.

I know that the waste plant claims to be ultra clean etc ... but mistakes and accidents do happen.

Just think what would happen to the credibility of the dairy in the eyes of its main commercial customers if the dairy ever shut down due to pollution. It would be on the national news and it would be extremely likely that they would never recover their sales to the main customers who would go elsewhere in case their own customers get jumpy.

The whole proposal is just so incredibly inept and insensitive towards this huge dairy.

In any event, the MBT plant should be sited close to or alongside the Lafarge factory which is supposed to be using the fuel pellets produced by the new MBT plant.

Russell Hawker

--- End quote ---
thanks for that,great info ;)

Al:
The dairy should have bloody good scrubbers on the air intakes. There is plenty of air pollutants from other businesses nearby (okay, not right next door, but just a few hundred meters away). That said, it does seem silly to put a site making fuel for LaFarge not next to LaFarge. If the raw product for the fuel was already there, then thats another matter, but its not, so why add all these extra journeys? I read somehting about LaFarge not being able to have a public waste site on its land due to public liability insurance, thats perhaps true, but easily overcomeable but leasing the land to the council.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version