Author Topic: Westbury Waste Plant  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
Re: Westbury Waste Plant
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 13:37:21 PM »
surely that's a good thing then....

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 13:46:53 PM »
I have always objected to this proposal at all Westbury Town Council meetings when this has come up.

Siting a waste recycling plant right next door to one of the UK's biggest and newest dairies is simply crass stupidity.  The dairy supplies over a fifth of the UK's dairy products. This is hugely important to that industry.

If any pollution enters the air-intakes of the dairy, the whole plant would need to shut down for a day whilst everything is cleaned and stock thrown out.

I know that the waste plant claims to be ultra clean etc ... but mistakes and accidents do happen.

Just think what would happen to the credibility of the dairy in the eyes of its main commercial customers if the dairy ever shut down due to pollution. It would be on the national news and it would be extremely likely that they would never recover their sales to the main customers who would go elsewhere in case their own customers get jumpy.

The whole proposal is just so incredibly inept and insensitive towards this huge dairy.

In any event, the MBT plant should be sited close to or alongside the Lafarge factory which is supposed to be using the fuel pellets produced by the new MBT plant.

Russell Hawker
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 13:50:14 PM »
I have always objected to this proposal at all Westbury Town Council meetings when this has come up.

Siting a waste recycling plant right next door to one of the UK's biggest and newest dairies is simply crass stupidity.  The dairy supplies over a fifth of the UK's dairy products. This is hugely important to that industry.

If any pollution enters the air-intakes of the dairy, the whole plant would need to shut down for a day whilst everything is cleaned and stock thrown out.

I know that the waste plant claims to be ultra clean etc ... but mistakes and accidents do happen.

Just think what would happen to the credibility of the dairy in the eyes of its main commercial customers if the dairy ever shut down due to pollution. It would be on the national news and it would be extremely likely that they would never recover their sales to the main customers who would go elsewhere in case their own customers get jumpy.

The whole proposal is just so incredibly inept and insensitive towards this huge dairy.

In any event, the MBT plant should be sited close to or alongside the Lafarge factory which is supposed to be using the fuel pellets produced by the new MBT plant.

Russell Hawker
thanks for that,great info ;)

Offline Al

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 13:56:41 PM »
The dairy should have bloody good scrubbers on the air intakes. There is plenty of air pollutants from other businesses nearby (okay, not right next door, but just a few hundred meters away). That said, it does seem silly to put a site making fuel for LaFarge not next to LaFarge. If the raw product for the fuel was already there, then thats another matter, but its not, so why add all these extra journeys? I read somehting about LaFarge not being able to have a public waste site on its land due to public liability insurance, thats perhaps true, but easily overcomeable but leasing the land to the council.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 16:01:34 PM »
£1m household recycling centre
i  havent any statistics to back my point of view only common sense ones...... why have a milk processing/treatment plant and build a household recycling center right next door to it?? just doesnt make sense at all to me...... there will of course be smells from the recycling center surely???  or not?   by lafarge where its out of the way and already a landfill there would be a much better idea surely !!!!

Offline Quantumtheory

• Hugs: 27
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 16:04:27 PM »
Crikey, what's going on? Have I moved to a town where I am going to be poisoned by the milk?
The estate agent never told me about this one!

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 16:07:59 PM »
Crikey, what's going on? Have I moved to a town where I am going to be poisoned by the milk?
The estate agent never told me about this one!

i dont think it will get t hat far quantum

Offline baldy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 16:13:00 PM »
The proposed plant is a Mechanical and Biological Treatment Plant on an industrial scale. It would involve lorries turning up to deliver old bones, blood and other biological waste plus ordinary waste from all over Wiltshire.

Only part of it would be a Household Recycling centre.

The issue for the Dairy is not the Household Recycling Centre.

The issue is all the lorries turning up with all sorts of hazards for delivery to the MBT plant.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Al

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 16:15:05 PM »
Have I moved to a town where I am going to be poisoned by the milk?
You listen to anything an estate agent tells you? Wow.... As for the milk, it gets shipped far and wide. Westbury could poison a large part of the UK if the dairy tried ;D

Offline Quantumtheory

• Hugs: 27
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 16:23:49 PM »
The proposed plant is a Mechanical and Biological Treatment Plant on an industrial scale. It would involve lorries turning up to deliver old bones, blood and other biological waste plus ordinary waste from all over Wiltshire.

I'm not with you baldy. Why would a dairy plant want blood and old bones?

Offline baldy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 17:03:25 PM »
Eh?  I was talking about the proposed MBT plant on a site next to the dairy.

Clearly, all the deliveries of potentially hazardous material (at least to any food process) right next door to a very large dairy involves the potential of an unfortunate air-borne accident.

Obviously, the dairy has filters on its air-intakes, but if any unusual level of pollution arrived in the air intakes the whole process would have to be shut down at the dairy.