Author Topic: Matravers School OFSTED  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Matravers School OFSTED
« on: November 13, 2018, 21:06:19 PM »
Matravers have not had a good OFSTED report

https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/23/126510

REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Matravers School gets shockingly bad OFSTED report saying "NEEDS IMPROVEMENT"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 13:28:28 PM »
See OFSTED report PDF here:  https://files.api.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/50037923

I was a local authority governor at Matravers School, Westbury, for 5 years until mid-2015. I resigned just after the last full OFSTED Inspection and draft report which labelled the school as "GOOD".

At that time, I was convinced that my work as a governor was effectively done as the school had an excellent new head teacher and the governing body was packed with real experts including former education officers from Wiltshire Council who definitely knew how to keep the head teacher and his team on their toes.

So ... I am really surprised at this outcome now. I do wonder what went wrong and why OFSTED has decided to give the school and leadership team a real kicking this time ...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 13:33:38 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
Having read the full report, I find the overall rating surprising!  Based on the comments in the report, it appears that "Good" would have been more appropriate.  I'm not surprised that the school is unhappy with Ofsted.

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
Could I ask if either of you have had children studying at this school lately?

Offline baldy

I can safely say neither of us have children who went to Matravers recently, though I know people with kids there.

One of the problems in Westbury is that some parents are very poor at supporting the school which is trying to raise all sorts of standards including good behaviour and some even seem to make it their mission to complain endlessly about the school to undercut it and help to cause disruption.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Damnit

Speaking as a parent who's child was behaved, never truant, always repectful but has SEN needs for dyslexia, when you support him & the school by taking leave for meetings that  are constantly cancelled at short notice, the SENCO leaves & not replaced and these additional needs are supposed to be catered for by untrained teachers, many of whom do not bother to read the childrens requirments before beginning to teach them, let alone understand the complexities of short term memory many dyslexics suffer, so the lessons were not prepared, no action is taken by the local authority when said child has a legally binding statement of needs, when you finally get to speak to someone & promised 'we will do better, we will get this right', but fails...again. It is just a good job I moved said child this summer & is now thriving with the support given as should have been for the last 2 years. YES we support him. YES we supported the school as best we could, but when your child is constantly let down it is very difficult to be positive about the experience & how he kept going with a smile on his face every morning speaks volumes for his good character knowing for yet another day this fish was going to be asked to climb a tree. Dr. Ridings response when I finally saw him...not in school because I could not get an apointment, but in a public place & raised my concern about the meetings being cancelled & calls not returned...keep trying! Do not get me wrong many of the changes implemented under Dr. Ridings watch were major improvments, the uniform, anti bullying, & I have have many friends whose children have done well, but speaking on my sons experience it really could have done with improvment, but at least we are getting there now, just wish I had had a cystal ball when choosing this school.

Offline Damnit

Apologies for the rant  ;D

Offline baldy

I remember that when I left as a Governor in 2015, the OFSTED inspection just then did find that although the school was overall Good, there was still work to do on improving things for special needs kids.

Offline Damnit

Our 1st born finished at Matravers in 2012 it was such a different experience, despite her being extremly poorly with thyroid disease for nearly 12 months leading up to her GCSE's she was well supported with 'home' work when she was unable to attend, and athough there were no A*'s she was still able to cling onto good enough pass rates to enable her to follow the courses at college she wanted to do & did not need any resits. We pressumed after receiving such support, by 2016 the SEN requirements would have been thoroughly sorted, as naturally we wanted him local & happy surrounded by friends. It has been a very challenging, stressful & upsetting time, but the boy is knuckling down & by half term had come up 2 points in both English & Maths now his work is set out prior to lessons for him to follow, as per his statement, so he can take the time needed to re read as many times it takes to get the question processed to answer correctly so a big well done to him & he is still smiling  ;D

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
Could I ask if either of you have had children studying at this school lately?

My children are well past school age!  My comments were based entirely on the content of the Ofsted report, not on personal experience.

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
My son is in this School its his 5th year and is Autistic when he first went to this School the Senco was Miss Barber she was ok after a few months it took that long to get the right needs for him and had someone who was very good with him Mrs Tancy. but since Miss Barber left we had to put up with a teacher who was learning on the Job and she left in year 3. Mrs Tancy Retired in the middle of year 3. And for the last two years this school has had no Qualified Senco sorry but this school is failing special needs Kids and although my son is doing ok and as he has got older manages better I fear the new Special needs Children entering the school has the School needs more assistant Teaching aids and can't afford them.

Offline Damnit

What makes my blood boil is the fact we have to fight for our childrens education, every child deserves an education, my childs dyslexia was picked up in reception at primary but had to wait until he was 9 years old and 4 years behind before an he got to see the educational psychiatrist for formal diagnosis. Plus what does happen to the extra funding from the council for the hours of additional support on his statement given to the school as it certainly did not get spent on his educational needs at Matravers. At 9 years old my son was 4 years behind, by the time he left primary with the extra support at 11 years he was 2 years behind...all very positive until he was left to stagnate at Matravers.

Offline Pugwash

Re: Matravers School OFSTED
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 15:01:28 PM »
Sadly, things will get even worse for local children with special needs who  currently go to Larkrise school in Trowbridge (as my son did ),  as the council are currently planning on closing it, so Matravers may well have to cope with more SEN pupils than they do now.